I’d like to start by saying that I have been hopeless at taking up awards and I extend my apologies for awards still unattended. Having said that I’d like to explain why I am accepting this award. First though, I’d like to thank my good friend T.Wayne from the Joyful Process, check him out at https://joyfulprocessblog.com/ T.Wayne shares a passion for music as I do and we share common taste in a number of genres. He is also my Mr Google on Music be it in terms of the year an Album was released, who played what instrument and above all – an ear for the good stuff!
So here are the rules to this Award:
- Link back to the person who nominated you. (Done).
- Answer these questions with words AND music.
- Pass the award to 5 bloggers who inspire you with posts about music. (Even if they are award-free?) Warning: I’ll have to break this rule
- Tag your post with #MWA, for Music & Words Award so we can all follow you down the line.
- Quote these five steps and the award icon in your post. You can display the icon on your sidebar as well.
So, here are the questions.
- WHAT DOES MUSIC MEAN TO YOU?
When I started blogging on my first blog last year, my first interest was in finding other Music bloggers. Though I found a few, my poetry writing proved more popular. (I’m not complaining – It’s helped refine my own poetry writing and I have hooked up with people from all over the world) Still, music for me is another form of poetry. It is companion to every mood, fuel for a frenetic dance, comfort for a broken heart, solace to a lonely hour, a friend who shares your joy and pain, reminder of precious and nostalgic days gone by, accompaniment to our journey of life and entertainer for all our celebrations.
It is in my blood and as a child, I so wanted to be a singer. I would climb to the top of the tallest tree and just sing my heart out for the neigborhood. So because there aren’t many of us blogging about music, I wanted to give it some profile. I’m eclectic in my collection and it has evolved over time. So I grew up with lots of solid gold pop music (the ones that you can sing along to and were quite poetic), loved R&B and Fusion and vocal Jazz and I’m very loyal to my favorite artists though Itunes has introduced to new artists that I may never have heard.
2. WHAT IS YOUR FIRST MUSIC RELATED MEMORY
I inherited my love of music from my father. He wasn’t much of a collector as I became but he had music radio stations playing in the background all the time. The song that stands out for me and reminds me of rainy days, comfort food and the spirit of neighbourliness I experienced as a child is this one:
3. WHAT’S THE FIRST ALBUM YOU PURCHASED YOURSELF ?
I grew up to the sounds of Teddy Pendergrass, The Stylistics, Manhattans, Temptations and many of the Soul Divas.Before I could afford to buy my own music, I traded music with my brother’s friends. The first Album I bought for myself was called Windsong by Randy Crawford and the song I played millions of times was this one:
4. WHAT IS THE LATEST MUSIC YOU’VE PURCHASED? (NO ONLINE STREAMING OR FREE DOWNLOADS, STRICTLY CASH HERE!)
I’ve certainly paid my dues with ITUNES and I’m thrilled with the convenience of buying music that way. But there was a certain romance to buying CDs in a CD store. There aren’t too many around anymore. As I recall, the last CD I bought in a tiny CD store because I heard it playing overhead while I was browsing, was River:The Joni letters by Herbie Hancock. This beautiful Jazz version of River was playing and enthralled me. I’ve also included another favorite from the same Album.
5. WHAT SONG DID YOU LISTEN TO LAST?
This lady is currently playing at our local Jazz Festival and so I’ve been listening to one of my favorite songs by her. This is a song I share with my girl friends when they are going through hard times in their relationships.
To conclude, I thought I’d just toss in this last song which sums up the topic nicely:
Choosing Nominees for this award is not that easy for the reasons I mentioned but I’m happy to have some volunteers. Nevertheless, I wish to nominate the following three bloggers who do enjoy music:
- ThatMishMash – https://thatmishmash.wordpress.com/
- NaughtyInnocence – https://naughtyinnocence.wordpress.com/
- Wordsmith Boulevard – https://mcnerneyblog.wordpress.com/